Pi Day = Key Lime Pie



The Nerdy Math Geek in me loves that it is Pi Day and a very special Pi Day at that!!!
Know what it is? It's the celebration date of the number that is the ratio of a circle’s circumference to its diameter. The celebration is held annually on 14 March, because 3/14 spells out the first three digits of π, or pi, which is 3.14.
But it’s not just any Pi Day. This year is the first time in a century that the date is 3/14/15, which describes the first five digits of pi, 3.1415. Mass elation will peak at 9.26:53am when the date and time will describe pi to 10 digits. 
Say WHAT???? PARTYYYY, right?????.........

..But what it really is, is an excuse to make a real PIE.

So I am Key Lime Pie, not to mention Key Lime Martini obsessed!! (With the 2 a year, I get)

Not just any Key Lime will do. My moms is absolutely the BEST, so refreshing!! I never actually knew her recipe because it is something she always makes for "me", so when she gave it to me, 
I was like "Is that it? It's so easy" Yep folks, it's that easy. Enjoy!!

Mom’s Key Lime Pie 
Graham Cracker Crust:
1 1/2 cups graham crackers crushed
1/3 cup sugar
6 T. melted butter

Mix well and press into pie plate.
(You can also buy a ready made 9” graham cracker pie shell)

Filing:
14 oz. can sweetened condensed milk    
3 egg yolks
1/2 half cup Nellie and Joe’s Key West Lime Juice (Must use this kind, what makes it the BEST)

Combine milk, egg yolks and lime juice. Blend until smooth. 
Pour filling into pie shell and bake at 350 for 15 minutes.
Allow to stand 10 minutes before refrigerating. Just before serving,
top with whipped cream and garnish with lime slices.



I love the crust with this but I do not eat a dough crust with other pies, just the filling. Anyone else do that?


Happy Pi Day!!

xoxo

"Cut my pie into four pieces, I don’t think I could eat eight.”  


1 comment:

  1. i'm actually not sure if i've ever had key lime pie, looks good though!

    xx danielle // shades of danielle

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to Browse my Blog. Your comments mean the world to me and I treasure each and every one!! If you are a non-reply blogger I won’t be able to respond via email. Kindness and Love, xo

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS